Saturday, December 08, 2007

Red Shoes.

So Sumo Me.

2007-12-06
Yeesh. Joanne had about as much "fun" with this one as I did. "Fun" in this instance is defined in the usual Crossfit way... "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun."

So... let's see how it went.

5 Rounds for Time. Yes, 5. Ow.

Run 400m.
75lb Sumo Deadlift High Pull x 21
75lb Thruster

I knew this was going to be a beeyotch and a half. I wasn't wrong. My buddy at work wondered aloud if the first round could be done unbroken: go directly from the run to the SDLHP, and then to the Thrusters without putting the bar down.

I decided to test this theory.

I shouldn't have.

Round 1
Run was at 8mph/7.5 minute mile. I'm happy how this is coming along for me. When I started Crossfit, I couldn't run these at much faster than a 9:30 pace. My previous training had mostly been long, slow, boring, soul-crushing distance. I was not used to running quickly. In fact, I used to define "quickly" as "faster than 10 minutes/mile" pace and it didn't count if it was for less than 5 miles. My 5k time was around 30 minutes.

SDLHP. Did all of these in one go. I don't find them to be particularly taxing from an aerobic standpoint, but after a while my hands start to give out.

Thrusters. Without putting the bar down. These weren't so bad for the first half. Then by about rep 12 I was wondering why I was doing this, and on the first round of a 5-round workout. By about the 15th rep I was questioning my own sanity. Amnesia set in at rep 18. I came to about halfway through the run on round 2.

Round 1: 4:00.3

Round 2 was a lot slower (more than 6:30) and it went downhill from there. Last round was torture, but I survived the whole thing in 36:20 something.

Ouch.

1 comment:

J4 said...

Oh now that's funny. I went from the sdhp to thrusters without putting the bar down. I guess I didn't realize that was allowed! Makes for good exercise that way...