Monday, February 11, 2008

Free Music Mixes from dj steve boyett

Free Music Mixes from dj steve boyett

Okay, so I have some new cool things to share.

First: Chi Running rocks. I'm stuck on a treadmill for my early season marathon training, and I usually hate it. However, I've been running intervals and shorter workouts lately, so it hasn't been too bad. I've also been working on learning the ChiRunning techniques, with what I can find of Pose thrown in for good measure.

This shiite works, and well. I've gone from struggling through 400 meter intervals at 8:00 pace to breezing through 800 meter intervals at the same pace. I can now do 2 minute long intervals at between 6:00 and 7:00 pace without dying. It's still hard work, but it's getting easier every time I run. In fact, tonight's intervals (4x800m @ 8:00 pace) were so easy that I was sorry I was out of time... I wouldn't have minded doing a few more at a faster pace. I even over-ran a couple of intervals- I forgot to look at the timer on the treadmill and just kept going. That usually doesn't happen.

Pivotal in this is increasing my turnover, and using the running form as taught in ChiRunning. For that, I've turned to the Podrunner podcast (see the link at the top of this posting.) It's good music to run to. Nothing that requires too many neurons to process, an easy beat to find for white schlumps such as myself, and good variety at the right speed. Perfect. I've been using 171 bpm, but I think I'll play around and go a little higher and a little lower to see what it feels like.

Third: Bosu balance balls are awesome for stretching and foot strengthening. I do some time standing on one leg balancing on one of these at the gym after I run, and it really works the kinks out. Makes the soles of my feet feel like they got worked hard, so it feels like it's helping my feet.

I can't wait to get outside and onto the trails for some good long runs. More later.

No comments: