Sunday, November 18, 2007

My side of the story

Red Shoes.: Oh My, Michael

My darling sister just posted an account of her latest experiences with Crossfit. I thought I would post my side of the story.

She calls me today to chat and set up plans for Thanksgiving. While we're talking, it comes up that neither of us did yesterday's workout. Since we didn't have plans, either, it worked out well to make up the workout together.

I love the gym Joanne goes to. It's got everything you need (except a good solid place to do kipping pullups), and they don't mind grunting, sweating, or chalk.

So we drive on over. I go through her journal, and am honestly impressed at her commitment. I remember what starting Crossfit was like, and I remember how sore I was from the brutality I was beginning to subject myself to. I also remember coming from a much fitter background than Joanne probably did, so I can't really imagine what it must feel like to be doing this sort of thing for the first time. Color me impressed.

We do the warmup. Her pushups are coming along nicely. I'm amazed that she's already progressed to the point where she's not having to assist from her knees any more. She's definitely taking the right approach- instead of banging out halfhearted reps with an arched back, she's forcing herself to do them as well as possible. Form wasn't bad at all. Her arms are definitely strong enough- it's just the rest of her that's getting used to doing this sort of thing. Great progress in a short amount of time.

After that, we do the workout. She posted the details on her blog (link at the top of this post) so I won't repeat.

She gave a pretty accurate description of how it went, including teasing me when she was ahead. It really made a difference. Just knowing the person next to you knows what you're supposed to be doing and how hard you should be working is great motivation. She paced herself a little slower than she needed to - I could tell she was done with the runs before I was, but who was I to begrudge her a little extra breathing time between exercises? I think she could easily take 3 minutes off her total next time she does this one. I think I could easily make myself puke trying to do that.

My runs went well to begin with, then sort of fell apart. I'm not blaming the back extensions or the situps, but rather my habit of not counting an hour of soccer or flag football at lunch as a workout (it counts as a rest day, right?) The fatigue built up from a couple of weeks of this is getting to me. I should be able to slow down soon and just do Crossfit. that, coupled with better sleep habits should get me back to setting PR's in no time.

I did the workout in about 24:46, about a minute faster than last time but still a minute off my PR set in March. My first lap was 30 seconds faster than I've ever managed before, but after that the fatigue set in pretty hard and the running got harder and harder. I may have set too fast a pace early on.

Better luck next time. No, better conditioning.

Oh, and one more thing: On the way to the gym, we'd halfheartedly discussed doubling up and doing today's workout after Michael. After I'd finished and was panting like a fish that had just run the 100 yard dash, I rolled over and asked "Okay, so, do you want to do the Filthy 50 now?"

She wisely declined.

No comments: